We know the stories of Cinderella, knights in shining armor, and rescuing the princess. We enjoy these stories because they are, frankly, a change from reality. Relationships are much more difficult in real-life. This let-down is even bigger when conflict shows up. Arguments, disagreements, laziness, and cheating all make relationships seem, well, impossible. However, couples counseling can show the way forward!
What Is Couples Counseling?
Couples counseling is simply meeting with your partner and a counselor. The counselor is specifically trained to help improve relationships. The point isn’t to “fix” a “broken” partner. Instead, couples counseling works to improve how the relationship as a whole works. Sure, there are things each person can probably do a little better. But the focus is on the relationship.
Sometimes, a couple will benefit from meeting together as a couple and also each meeting with their own individual counselor.
What Can Couples Counseling Help With?
- Long-term or ongoing conflict
- Frequent arguments
- Arguing over little things
- Constant criticism
- Contempt for your partner
- Stonewalling conversations
- And more!
Your Couples Therapist:
- Listens – We listen to both sides. We work to understand where each person is coming from
- Educates – We provide information and skills to help the relationship move forward
- Problem solves – We work together with both people to find workable solutions for your relationship
- Supports – Sometimes all that is needed is space to talk through an argument. Your couples therapist can provide space for the difficult conversations
- Refers – A person may need to meet with an individual counselor and a couples therapist. We can provide individual counseling or a referral that will best fit your needs.
- Values confidentiality – Everything you say stays in the room with your counselor. Your friends or family wont know you see a counselor unless you tell them. There are only 1 or 2 legally required exceptions to this (your counselor can explain these to you)
To schedule an appointment, call 717-219-5711 or use the form below.
Schedule Initial Appointment